It has been three years since Microsoft acquired Connectix. Finally, Microsoft is releasing a corporate segment management tool for Virtual Server: Virtual Machine Manager 2007, part of the System Center product family.
Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2007 is a complete solution for managing a virtualized data center, which allows you to increase the physical utilization of servers and provide centralized management of the virtual machine infrastructure.
The first edition of System Center Virtual Machine Manager contains the following virtual infrastructure management features:
- Support for the life cycle of virtual machines;
- Centralized library for reference images of virtual machines, scripts and ISO images;
- Fast and reliable conversion of a physical server into a virtual machine (P2V migration);
- Fast and reliable conversion of a virtual machine into a virtual machine (V2V migration);
- Providing self-service functionality through a web portal;
- Enhanced automation scenarios through integration with PowerShell;
- Integration with System Center Operation Manager 2007 for virtual data center monitoring and capacity planning;
- Integration with System Center Configuration Manager 2007 to upgrade virtual machines offline;
- Integration with System Center Manager Data Protection Manager 2007 to backup running virtual machines.
The Virtual Machine Manager Administrator Console is built on the familiar Operations Manager 2007 user interface, allowing administrators to quickly and easily manage their virtual machines. Comprehensive monitoring of the health of hosts, virtual machines, library servers, and Virtual Machine Manager components is provided through the Virtualization Management Pack in Operations Manager 2007.
System Center Virtual Machine Manager is also integrated with familiar tools and technologies. For example, Virtual Machine Manager uses a SQL Server database to store performance and configuration data, and reporting capabilities in Virtual Machine Manager use familiar SQL Reporting Services technologies that are actually provided through System Center Operations Manager.